brand-rich vision to uplift small business’ online presence
Bush Knowing Forest School offers bush kindy and bush playgroup for young children and their families in Brisbane’s northern suburbs. Led by experienced kindergarten teacher Joanne Sørensen, Bush Knowing’s nature play sessions inspire children to be curious, creative and connected future stewards of the earth.
In 2018, Bush Knowing Forest School began as the first forest school in north Brisbane. Born from Joanne’s passion for supporting child-led play in the natural environment, Bush Knowing started operating casual nature play sessions organised as ‘Facebook Events’. High demand and inconsistent attendance showed Forest School Leader Joanne Sørensen that she needed a website to help her run the business more effectively and efficiently.
In early 2021, Joanne created a WordPress website with an incorporated third party ticketing system. This enabled better attendee confirmations, booking and group size management, and pre-session operations with the new in-built disclaimer electronic form. However, Jo wanted Bush Knowing’s website content and functionality to better reflect the passionate and practical tone of her business.
As a small business owner, Jo’s time is in demand. Jo balances part-time kindergarten teaching at a local community kindy, consulting and training teachers, and Bush Knowing’s sessions. In mid 2021, Jo sought professional support from a copywriter (me!) to help bring her website content vision to life, whilst adhering to the latest digital marketing practices. Here’s how we tackled her website project.
The aim of Bush Knowing Forest School’s website refresh was to:
- communicate the business’ philosophy and programs effectively
- improve the user experience (UX) and path to purchase
- update the website content to match the business’ professional (but friendly!) tone
This project took place in a sequence of phases over a twelve month period. We broke the total refresh into smaller pieces. This bite-size approach enabled us to work together in a constructive and realistic way, whilst respecting Joanne’s time and availability throughout the school year.
The project required a combination of website copywriting (with search engine optimisation), line editing and WordPress publishing support.
- Architect a new sitemap to improve user experience and search performance
- Write a new homepage to engage users and showcase the brand’s USP, products and philosophy
- Write a new ‘About’ page to communicate the business’ background, and establish its credibility and key industry partners
- Write new product pages to improve user flow, comprehension and support a path to purchase
- Research and strategically target brand-related SEO keywords for each new webpage
- Provide web publishing support by enhancing page layouts, and applying approved copy decks and imagery to to the existing WordPress theme.
I am forever grateful to Lindsay for her vision to support my small business. Using her incredible skills, Lindsay provided content ideas, visual formatting and advice to ensure my site is more relevant, easy to read, simple to navigate, and find when doing internet searches. Every question or query was addressed in ways that made it easy for me to understand and going forwards manage myself. I am very proud of what we have achieved and look forward to working with Lindsay again in the future.Joanne Sørensen, Owner & Teacher/Forest School Leader, Bush Knowing Forest School
Leave a Reply